Lakers tie Falcons, fall in shootout

Friday – Lakers 2, Falcons 2 (Bowling Green wins shootout)

A third period goal from Anthony Nellis enabled the Lakers to take the Falcons of Bowling Green to overtime knotted at 2 goals apiece.  The overtime gave way to a shootout in which the Falcons (4-3-3, 3-1-3-2 WCHA) prevailed, earning two points in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) standings.

Lake Superior (2-6-3, 1-2-2 WCHA) put themselves behind the eight ball early, as Max Johnson of the Falcons opened the scoring at 2:56 of the first period.  Goals early and late in a period have been somewhat of an Achilles’ heel for the Lakers this season.

Despite being outshot 11-4 in the opening period, Laker goaltender Nick Kossoff limited the damage to just the Johnson goal.

Early in the second, the Lakers found themselves with a 4 on 3 power play, as John Schilling was called for boarding just 24 seconds into the period.  After the whistle, Brayden Gelsinger and Lukas Craggs were also penalized for roughing. 

On the ensuing power play, J.T. Henke scored his third goal of the year, with assists from Jake Hand and Hampus Erikkson.  For Erikkson, this was his first collegiate point.

The Falcons struck back just over five minutes later, when Brandon Kruse put Bowling Green back on top.  His goal sent Lake Superior back to the locker room after 40 minutes trailing by one.

Lake Superior looked to be in dire straits when the Falcons had a minute long 5 on 3.  With William Riedell off for a slash and Matt McArdle sitting beside him for roughing, the Lakers’ penalty kill stood tall, keeping the score at 2-1.

At 8:57 of the third period, Nellis cashed in with his fifth goal of the season.  The native of Breakyville, Quebec is now tied with Max Humitz for the team lead in goals.  Hand picked up his second assist of the night on the goal.

With another power play opportunity, the Lakers looked to take the lead.  Freshman netminder Eric Dop of the Falcons ensured that did not happen, however, as the two teams were destined for overtime.

In the extra session, the Falcons had the only shots (2), but Kossoff stopped them both, forcing a 3 on 3 overtime.  Neither team could cash in then either, which brought the contest down to a shootout.

In the third round of the shootout, BGSU’s McLain scored on Kossoff to earn 2 of the possible 3 points.  Since the game officially goes down as a tie, the Falcons extended their unbeaten streak to six games.

In net, Kossoff had 32 saves on 34 shots.  Dop, meanwhile, put up 20 saves on 22 shots.

Lake Superior won the special teams’ battle, as they were 1 for 5 with the odd man, while the Falcons went 0 for 4.